Saturday 23 July 2016

Saxon Light Infantry WIP2

This is a very pleasant post for me as the idea to do this battalion has been in my head for a good few years now. When I 1st noticed the difference with the light infantry uniform to the regular line infantry it knocked me off a little as I realised I would probably have to convert the troops. So I'm very happy to see the battalion coming together at long last, and also that the conversion work I've done on them looks not bad at all.

This video is a little old as I am now in the process of finishing off the bases. I plan to do a 2nd battalion, however I'm short a few skirmishing figures so they will have to wait for the moment.

So this is the 32 man battalion glued down and ready to add the sand with PVA

The 1st stage was to get the main troops finished. I tried to put a good variety of headgear and trousers within the unit to give a more unique look.

The calf skin covers were probably the most fun to make and paint as it seems to have been a very Saxon specific piece of kit that must have looked splendid on the battlefield?

These wee guys are converted from Bavarian troops and are probably the weakest area of the battalion as I did the head swaps so long ago. I think on at least 2 of them the heads sit a little to low on the shoulders. However within the battalion who will notice, perhaps a cannon exploded close by? 

Another couple of firing dudes this time with shako uncovered.

My mounted officer, possibly a little fancy considering how all the rest are dressed? I am really happy how his buttons and gorget came out.

Maybe my favourite in the battalion are the officer and trooper converted from an Austrian casualty set as I had to remove the officers sash. I like the way the uniform front falls open plus how the gorget hangs from the uniform (I picked up the idea for this from a Europa militaria book with pictures of french Napoleonic reenactors). 

Another little guy I like, I changed the boots into a more line infantry officer style at the last minute however he still looks fine. Maybe the belt would be better hidden behind the large flap on the front of his overalls?

And a Zimmerman who possibly doesn't quite fit in as he is walking forward while everyone else is standing firing, loading (or dying) around the place.

Thanks for sharing my little journey with these guys!!!
Next time you see them the basing will be 100% complete.

Happy wargaming!!!

35 comments:

Unlucky General said...

Totally superb results and at that scale also. Wonderful modelling of the unit - really looks like a sustained firing line. Just excellent.

Millsy said...

Quite wonderful work sir. I especially like the cowhide shake covers and the striped trousers. Both add real character.

Rodger said...

Absolutely awesome Paul! Great work on the conversions and I really like the calf skin covers, brilliant.

Craig said...

Stunning work Paul. The conversins are amazing, and teh paintwork inspired as always. Great job!

James Fisher said...

Bloody hell Paul, you can sure paint! Marvellous!

Paulalba said...

Thanks James, very happy with these wee guys.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Craig, Glad you like them. It's nice to finally see them done. A friend says he has more skirmish figures so maybe working on the next battalion after all.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Rodger, really pleased with them buddy. Thanks for the encouragement!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Millsy, those are the fun bits to do. Got a lotta enjoyment out of them! Thanks for the comment! Much appreciated!

Paulalba said...

Thanks very much unlucky general, I was hoping to get the look of a firing line like the 28mm guys do.

Jacksarge Painting said...

Great Work on the unit Paul! I particularly like the mounted officer, and all your conversions came out a treat!

Cheers,
John.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Your mounted officer is strikingly painted. Quite a small work of art. Striped trousers? Outstanding!
I am withJames...bloody hell, you sure can paint!

desvauxdesaintmaurice said...

Awesome, love the detail and shading. Mounted officer is my favourite from these!

warpaintjj said...

Always been a fan of your work - it just keeps getting better.
You know I'm also a fan of individual regiments which stand out & are recognisable on a crowded table, these are a superb example of just that.
Bravo Paul!
Best wishes,
Jeremy

fireymonkeyboy said...

These are fantastic, Pal. Lovely work on the assisted casualty.

FMB

Paulalba said...

Thanks very much FMB, the conversions were a lot more fun and less hassle than I thought they would be!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Jeremy, really appreciate the encouragement buddy, take a lot of inspiration from 28mm naps. Enjoy seeing your big games with all the different troop types on display.
Cheers
Paul

Paulalba said...

Thanks very much, I've been enjoying looking through your blog recently. Inspiring work!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Jonathan, had to have fun with these guys just because they are unique in not existing in 18mm

Paulalba said...

Thanks John, it's always nice to tick off units you have had in your mind for a good while. I sometimes wondered if I would do them so seeing them finished is very rewarding.

Carlo said...

Wonderful work Paul and the quality of the conversions and the painting would make many 28mm wargamers green with envy. Always a pleasure to see an updated post mate as the content quality is always so high and of great interest.

Rulane10@gmail.com said...

Stunning. Clearly not afraid to take casualties and stand firm!

Stephen Smith said...

Great stuff Paul really nice job on the unit particularly like the casualties and the mounted officer stunning work my friend

Paulalba said...

Thanks Stephen, appreciate your encouragement buddy. Took a while but I really enjoyed the project. Very happy how they have came out.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Ru, absolutely, a hardy bunch!

Gonsalvo said...

Really super stuff, Paul!!!

Rulane10@gmail.com said...

I'm not surprised the incredibly smart and courageous colonel doesn't have bullet holes in his shako...or is stood over a dying horse waving his men on (vignette idea for you!)

Anonymous said...

A wonderful battalion Paul. Most impressive. Your journey with the battalion mimics the journey I travelled with a Prussian Landwehr battalion modelled as a shot up / distressed firing line - https://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/2015/09/20/34-east-prussian-landwehr/

I very much look forward to seeing the final result.

Salute
von Peter himself

Paulalba said...

Thank you very much peter!!!

Unknown said...

superb work Paul. It will never cease to amaze me how you manage to get so much detail on those 15mm figures. I just don't know of anyone who does better...

DimaPrapor said...

Great idea! Looking forward to see batallion finished. You best as always.

Paulalba said...

Thank you dimitri I finally got them finished!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Francis, very much appreciatedoubt, I'm sure there are plenty though. However thanks very much

Paulalba said...

Thanks Peter I remember your landwear battalion very well! Got them done at last

Paulalba said...

Thank you very much carlo! They have been a lotta fun to do.