Thursday 30 September 2010

28mm West Prussians

Well my wee camera came back in good shape from those nice Samsung people so hopefully it should last me for a good while now, however as I had no spotlight I wasn't sure what to do? I tried cleaning up as many 15mm naps as I could but the lack of a spotlight was straining my eyes something awful.

So I decided to fish out my 1st love, my old 28mm napoleonics.




My brother used to bring home wargaming magazines when I was a lad filled with the most amazing colour pictures of 28mm battles and figures so when I had money of my own I started buying them by the bucket load. The only problem was there wasn't a person I knew who shared the same passion.

Jump forward 20 years and I've decided to keep my Prussians and French and ebay the rest. Here is my 2nd West Prussians (Silesians originally but I lost my old yellow and I figured I'd stick with what I knew!) finished the other night. I was short a few figures in my 28mm battalions (I think it was 24 figure battalions I was aiming for before?) so I ordered up some extra's from Elite Miniatures (only to discover they had changed design!). No matter they'll do for me.

And here they are with their battle hardened little brothers.





With hindsight I should have dropped the flagman and made these guys the fusilier battalion with black belt as I don't know when I'll get round to buying flags?

So 20 years in the making and I finally got them based and varnished . . .



I hope the second battalion doesn't take as long!

8 comments:

Stryker said...

Hi Paul - they look excellent. If it took you 20 years to finish them there's hope for me yet!

Ian

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

They look very nice and indeed finishing a unit in under 20 years is possible.;-)

Cheers
Christopher

Gunfreak said...

Exelent work, but realy when doing prussians you really should do calpe miniatures.

Paulalba said...

Thanks for the comments guys,
I know 20 years is a bit embarrassing.

What can I say I lived abroad for a bit and most of my stuff got packed up in my parents loft for many, many moons. Nice to get them based up! :-)

Hi Gunfreak, if I could afford them I would buy Calpe too but unfortunately they are out of my price range so I make do with their little AB brothers (who as you know are worth their weight in gold).

Thanks again guys!

Robert said...

I have never really been a fan of Elite miniatures, but those Prussians look amazing- no craning necks looking for ground attack aircraft, just good, natural poses. Inspiring work.

Wonderfully done, and when the Perry twins come out with their plastic Prussians I'm pretty sure I'll be adding some to my collection.

And I am comforted by the act that you took as long to paint it as some of the units I have waiting in line to be done!

Paulalba said...

Ha, I'm glad I made somebody feel good about how long it took me to finish them. I remember looking at them in my parents loft around 10 years ago and thinking what the hell did I buy these for? and now they are done
Cheers
Paul

Schrumpfkopf said...

these are lovely - shame you are mostly on the 15mm side of things. =)

Paulalba said...

Hi Schrumpfkopf,
I have thought about it many time especially when all the 28mm plastic started getting released but my house is just not big enough. Now if perry released 28mm 1812-13 Russians!!!! Then I'm definately goosed. I would love to have a few battalions of marching Russians, an artillery battery and Russian cuirassers . . . don't get me started!!!!
Cheers
Paul