Wednesday 20 May 2015

Prussian Horse Artillery 1813-15

I'm pleased to say the May Painting Challenge is going well and today I put the finishing touches to my AB Prussian HA. If you are interested in the video progress you can find the latest over on YouTube here:


Or if you prefer there are pics below . . .

I'll admit right out that I maybe went a shade light on the uniform but they are 18mm so do need a little help on the table. My final highlight was foundry Prussian blue highlight with a tiny touch of Coat d'Arms horse grey. I really like the colour so went for it. Craig sorry buddy as I know I should be keeping it dark!

It goes without saying that the AB figures are lovely, these are some of the nicest I've painted and are far better detailed than the regular rank and file Prussian infantry that I own. I would guess they were sculpted later?

I added flowers and turfs from MiniNatur and I'm pretty happy with the effect they give the bases if a little artificial they do brighten them up a bit. Maybe they should be crushed into the ground but that's life, artistic licence and all that.

A huge thanks to Darren who I purchased a large amount of my unpainted AB Prussians From a few years ago. Darren kindly sent up a load of AB Prussian guns he found long after our transaction and I'm really grateful for that Darren, definitely saved me a few £'s!

So that's me for the moment, sorry for not getting around everyone's blog I've been busy with the video a day MPC. Hopefully everything will be back to normal 1st June.

Happy wargaming and painting!

26 comments:

Phil C said...

lovely work and video!

Jonathan Freitag said...

Exquisite brushwork as always.

Rulane10@gmail.com said...

Beautiful.

Carlo said...

Looking sensational Paul. FWI I think the blue looks sensational.

Ian said...

These are great, I am sucker for the Prussians and your work really hits the spot

Ian

fireymonkeyboy said...

Could you do something on your basing? Materials / souring / techniques? They really are well done.

FMB

John (VonBlucher) said...

Paul,
They look great, and I also like your blue that you used.

It's the same with the AB early Prussian Horse Artillery that they are some much nicer looking and a joy to paint.

Stryker said...

I think that true Prussian blue is too dark even at 20mm scale so I think you've chosen just right with these. Lovely work Paul.

Darren Ashton said...

Great to see them all done up Paul. Personally I hated painting Prussian Artillerymen..... Lol.

Sgt Steiner said...

Superbly painted and posed blokes those

Gonsalvo said...

Really fine work, Paul!

warpaintjj said...

Your work always takes my breath away and leaves me pondering why we did this period in 28mm when these are available! Ho hum!
Best wishes
JeremyJ

Paulalba said...

Cheers JJ, very kind of you however if I had the space you guys have I would be doing 28mm as well!!!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Peter! I haven't been around for a while. Been busy youtubing with this painting challenge. Takes up a lot of your time.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Sgt, glad they are done!

Paulalba said...

Cheers Daren well you know they went to a good home! I am not fond of painting artillery either! Good to hear from you!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Ian, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! 😁

Paulalba said...

Thanks John, yeah they were lovely to paint. There were a few wee miss cast areas that needed cleaning out with a scalpel and I used green stuff on some belt areas that had gaps but we're still really fun to paint in the end.

Paulalba said...

Hi FMB, good to see you. Have you had a break from blogging lately, seem not to have seen any updates over your way. Or perhaps it's me? If you want to talk basing drop me an email. You can find it in my profile. I did a basic basing post but that was before I moved to using flowers.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Ian, yeah prussians rock, thanks for the kind words thru are very much appreciated!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Carlo, glad you like them. I had a 5o/50 feeling in the blue but it's grown on me!

Paulalba said...

Thanks phil, no doubt your cracking on with your DBA armies? I plan to do Spartans soon for a wee change.

Paulalba said...

Thanks jonathan, very kind of you buddy!

Paulalba said...

Cheers Rupert, appreciate it!

Redwood Bushcraft said...

Hi Paul, can I be cheeky and ask what size bases you use for artillery, and also do you base your light cavalry the same as heavy cavalry? i.e. 3 to a base and a 30 x 36mm base.
Thank you.

Paulalba said...

Hi, not cheeky at all. The artillery are in 40mmx40mm 2mm deep laser cut mdf bases. The Cavalry basing I was advised on doing 12mm frontage. Was originally guard on 48mm x 30mm 4 on a base and the rest 36mmx30mm 3 on a base. However I have just decided to do it mathematically what looks good. They could as easily be mounted on 35mmx30mm fir 3 as that is a size that's readily available. Hope that helps