Saturday 23 May 2015

Prussian Leib Hussar

So this is a unit I'm really happy to get out the way and the May Painting Challenge has really helped to keep me motivated on pushing to the end with them.

You can check out my video here:


Or below are some pics of the finished regiment

I've been really enjoying painting horses lately as I have colours nailed down that work for me. I'm comfortable with how the horses turned out however I maybe went a little bright on the greys?

I'm also chuffed with the totenkopfs on the shako covers as they are tiny so I guess the guys painted them on themselves?

The braid was surprisingly straight forward. I undercoated in Vallejo 165 and this gave a sound base shade not to dark to give a skeletal look and not to light to be close to the white plus chainmail for the buttons so really pleased with that.

So all in all I'm very happy with them, I mixed Vallejo sky blue with black for the uniform highlight and it gave a nice highlight without looking to grey or to blue.

So that's another Prussian unit ticked off!!! Hussar hurrah!!!!

Sorry for not getting round everyone's blogs more frequently as the MPC has taken up a lot of time.
happy war gaming and painting!

33 comments:

Matt said...

They look fantastic.

Jacksarge Painting said...

Wow! They look magnificent.
Great painting.

fireymonkeyboy said...

Lovely work on these, the details are fantastic.

Phil C said...

brilliant brush work! The skin tones of your horses are amazing and spot on! and as for the greys they are perfect! by having 2 or 3 in a regiment as you did here will enhance the appeal and contrast of the regiment. I wouldnt change the colours and approach painting up your horses. If in doubt about the grey horses paint up the Scot Greys regiment! :o) and you will surprised! :o)

cheers,

Stryker said...

Stunning work Paul - I just don't know how you can paint such wonderful detail on 15mm figures!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Ian, It takes a good while to paint them, I don't no how Rafa does his cracking AB's

Paulalba said...

Thanks Matt!

Paulalba said...

Cheers Jacksarge much appreciated!

Paulalba said...

Thanks FMB, chuffed with the death head as they were a bigger.

Paulalba said...

Cheers Phil, I've marked down all my colours for horses now and plan to stick with the. Scots greys hmmm I did them in Minifigs so that will do me for my lifetime I recon

Gonsalvo said...

Gorgeous job on this famous regiment, Paul. The detail on the totenkopf is astounding - I wouldn't even try it in 28mm!

carojon said...

Great work Paul, very inspiring

Jonathan Freitag said...

Beautiful Deathshead horsemen!

Your detailing on both man and beast is striking. You should have no second thoughts on how these fine gents turned out.

DimaPrapor said...

Each time better and better! Great job as always!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Wonderful looking regiment Paul!

Christopher

Ken said...

Brilliant job on these guys, especially like the skull&crossbones, you even painted the sockets!

Rulane10@gmail.com said...

Just awesome. Well done.

Rodger said...

Stunning looking unit there Paul! Very impressive!

Sgt Steiner said...

Mein Gott ! Donner und Blitzen ! Gott In Himmel !!

Simply awesome in their awesomeness

Sgt Steiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John (VonBlucher) said...

Great looking unit, now go finish your Guard Chasseurs so they have a worthy opponent to face on the battlefield. ;-)

Phil said...

Can't believe it's 15mm...faces are so detailed! Wonderful job Paul...

Paulalba said...

Thanks Phil, I'm very happy with them.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Peter, I was apprehensive about doing the totenkopf but I'm really happy how it came out.

Paulalba said...

Thanks jonathan that's really kind of you to say!

Paulalba said...

Thanks jonathan, I appreciate your encouragement on the horses!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Dimitri, glad you like them. Very much appreciated!

Paulalba said...

Thanks John, challenge is almost done. I'm thinking of a break from 15's altogether as I'm all painted out.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Christopher! Glad to get them done!

Paulalba said...

Thanks ken, had to give a bit of time to them.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Ru, much appreciated!

Paulalba said...

Thanks Rodger, really kind of you to say. I'm very happy with them.

Paulalba said...

Thanks Sgt Steiner, I'm chuffed how they came out!